Sunday 3 November 2013

NGC blackout videos

NGC has aired video's about blackouts. One is the UK version and one of the USA version. Are they realistic? Well I know more about the grid than the average person, but the last time I talked to the emergency coordinator of a power grid company, I learned a lot about what I didn't know. So I won't even want to discuss that part, knowing that I barely know how the grid works. I do know that the grid in my country does have safety's build in to protect the grid. 

The UK version

The USA version

Will a black out cause the problem as seen in these video's. Well I believe that people are far more rational than most people think. Many people think that during an emergency people will panic and riot and stay in that state for a long time. Reality is that people are generally quite realistic and rational. Panic appear when a danger is immediate, but certainly not in a scale most people believe it will. The media is very focused on the few incidents were there are panic or riots, but generally it's not that bad. 

No comments: