Monday 15 July 2013

Scepter 20 liter water jerrycan review

Hauling and storing lots of water can be a difficult task. I’m more of a tap water kind of guy. I don’t like disposable water bottles. Too much trash, too much of a carbon footprint and expensive compared to my tap water. So for my emergency water supply, I use plastic (food grade) jerrycans.
 
There are many feature to look at in a jerrycan.:

- A pouring vent is a great feature to insure  a smooth pour. ‘Glugging’ (is that a word?) causes you to spill and is just plain annoying. 

- A pouring spout which is the right size to pour from.

- A large hole to stick your arm in to clean the inside. 

- A good seal. Some water jerrycans do not have a gasket, some do. No gasket means nothing to break, but the edge must be in good shape.

- The right size, to handle 
 




The Scepter 20 liter water jerrycans meet most of my criteria. It has a pouring vent, good pour spout and cleaning hole. I can’t stick my entire arm in to the cleaning hole, only half way, but enough to clean the inside with a brush. The cleaning hole is also ideal to fill it up or dump it quickly. But it does give me enough reach with a brush to clean it.  When full it is a bit heavy, but manageable for me. For smaller people this can be an issue.

There are no o-rings on this jerrycan. So if it leaks, get some fine sand paper and sand the edge  to get a good seal again. It’s very sturdy, you can easily stand on it, although you can feel some flexing.

One thing I miss are the triple carrying handles, like those found on the NATO fuel jerrycans. The three handles design allows you to have two people carrying the same jerrycan or have one person carry two (empty) cans side by side.  Another thing I’m missing is the ability to stack them. You could, but it’s just not very stable. Despite these issues, I think these are the best jerrycan designs I have found. I wish the 10 liter version would be more available, since they are easier to handle.








No comments: