Wednesday 16 October 2013

HTFU: Get used to the temperature

It's autumn and winter is not far away, so the temperature is getting lower. Most outdoor people know when they are outside in the cold, we usually feel cold. However after just a few days your body adjusts and you get used to it. (Unless it's really too cold for the clothing you are wearing.)

My observation is that when I turn down the heater in the winter, from a toasty 20 degree's Celsius to something between 12 - 15 degree Celsius and just wear a sweater, my body adjusted to it and I'm far more capable keeping myself warm while being outside(it also saves a lot of money). Being cold stimulates your body to make more brown fat (Brown adipose tissue), which can directly turn energy in to heat. Not being cold to easily allows you to be far more productive when you are outside, saves money on your heating bill and burns away excessive calories.

For me, this also works the other way around. If I'm hot, I don't immediately turn on the AC or fan. Get used to it and you are far more able to cope with it later. Getting out of your comfort zone and harden the f... up can be very useful when there is no heating or AC.

Warning; Don't over do it. Getting too cold can get you hyperthermia and getting too warm can cause you to overheat.

No comments: